The cabinets cover a lot of space in the kitchen. Hence, it hugely impacts your overall kitchen colour and design. If you do not design them properly, the overall appeal of your kitchen will diminish. You should very carefully choose each and every aspect of your kitchen cabinets. Choosing the right colour is one of the most confusing tasks for many people. When you are not very sure, you can always choose grey. Many experts consider it to be the perfect solution.
Why choose grey for the cabinets?
There are various reasons for choosing grey for your kitchen cabinets. For instance, grey is a neutral and well-balanced kitchen colour. This makes it a very versatile shade and apt for any room. You can give the kitchen design interiors a soothing and relaxing vibe. As a result, cooking in the kitchen will be a more peaceful and comfortable experience. People looking for minimalist interiors love this colour as well. Besides being versatile, it can make the space appear more elegant and sophisticated. Also, many people looking for lighter colours prefer grey over white for the kitchen because grey can hide dirt better. In a space like your kitchen, the interiors can get dirty very fast due to smoke and grime. However, many people find the colour a little boring or lacking emotion. You can take care of this issue by introducing a few bright and bold colours with it. This will allow you to add a pop of colour and give the kitchen a more vibrant and lively appearance.
The Do’s and Don’ts of decorating with grey
To ensure that the grey appears appealing in your kitchen design, here are a few key things you must keep in mind at all times:
- Use only one neutral color: When you are adding grey to your kitchen cabinets, avoid using other neutral colours in the kitchen. Using two neutral colours can make the space appear boring. If you feel that using only grey is unappealing, you can introduce a bright kitchen colour for a contrasting effect.
- Check the other grey elements in your kitchen: When you are adding grey to your kitchen design, try to ensure that only one tone of grey is used in the kitchen. There can be other grey elements in your kitchen like any appliance. If different areas of your kitchen feature a different shade of grey, the interiors will appear unappealing.
- Always add textures: When adding grey cabinets to your kitchen design, you must add some textures as well. Many people often ignore them. However, adding textures can make your kitchen design interiors visually appealing and exciting. If you have large kitchen cabinets, it will help to break the monotony.
- Paint a few in grey instead of all the cabinets: You do not necessarily have to paint all the cabinets in grey. Sometimes, using grey as an accent can do the trick as well. Just paint only a few cabinets grey and give the rest a different colour. Consider adding a few grey elements with the cabinets for a balanced look.
- Consider all the different tones before choosing: As mentioned earlier, there are lots of different shades of grey. Consider checking the different tones before finalising your decision.
How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets
Once you have decided on the grey shade for your cabinets, you may feel like painting them on your own without any professional help. This will certainly help you save some money. Mentioned below are a few tips that will prove to be very useful for you:
- The ideal base is wood: If you are painting your kitchen cabinets, you cannot find a better solution than wood. This is because you get a smooth surface and can add any paint or finish.
- Label the cabinets so that it is easy to remember: If you are painting cabinets for the first time, you must always take all the necessary measures to avoid any mistakes. Many people often find difficulty in putting the back after painting. You can avoid this problem by labeling them while removing them.
- Consider between gloss, semigloss, and satin grey paint: The kitchen is one of the spaces that get dirty easily. You will have to choose easy-to-maintain items so that cleaning the space becomes convenient. A common trick you can use for this is choosing gloss, semi-gloss, or satin grey paint. They can be easily cleaned whenever they get dirty.
- Spray paint is more time-efficient: There are many easy solutions that will help you to finish the task faster. For instance, you can use spray paint. You will be able to save both time and money.